I am always trying to find a good movie list for those only found on Netflix Instant. These are hard to find, so I am slowly making my own lists and I hope this helps other people who only have the Instant subscription.The Roku I have linked with my Netflix Instant account might be the best Valentine’s Day gift to ourselves that my husband and I have ever gotten. Searching for a genre is a little difficult on the Roku and sometimes you just don’t feel like searching a specific title by clicking one letter at a time. Tedious.
Here is my list that as of January 2014 can be found on Netflix Instant. The titles in bold are those I have seen before. Those not in bold are movies I want to watch soonish and maybe you’ll enjoy them too. It’s a little out of season, but I made a (shorter) list of Halloween-y movies found on Netflix Instant.
All pictures belong to IMDb unless otherwise stated.
Romantic-ish/Valentine’s Day movies on Netflix Instant–Part One:
- 13 Going on 30 (2004)--Girl wishes to be 30 with perfect BF/Job/life but when her dreams come true they fall short. Girly romance with boy next door theme.
- African Queen (1951)–A unlikely team, Bogart and Hepburn, strike out on an adventure to blow up an enemy boat.
- America’s Sweethearts (2001)–Movie publicist deals with very public celebrity split up. Love triangles galore, give the set up some time.
- Blue Hawaii (1961)–Elvis music and Hawaiian scenery. Elvis has just gotten out of the army and wants to enjoy island life again.
- I Hate Valentine’s Day (2009)–Woman avoids falling in love by sticking to dating rules, until love moves in next door to her florist shop.
- Dorfman in Love (2011)–Woman wants life outside of caring for her family. Looks like two new loves fall in her lap.
- Emma (1996)–She loves meddling and setting up marriages until her plans backfire. Period film version of Clueless.
- See girl Run (2012)–Young woman revisits her old relationships to seek guidance in her life.
- Footloose (1984)–Rebellious teen who loves to dance moves to a small town where dancing is banned. I prefer the 2011 movie simply for the updated music.
- About Adam (2000)–Guy seduces two sisters and possibly more characters. There are some poor reviews, but at least sniff test it.
- Get Over it (2001)–Love triangles every which way, allusions to Midsummer Night’s Dream. This might make me sound like a mom, but this is definitely a movie for older teens. Kinda surprised it was PG-13.
- Time Traveller (2010)–Girl tries to go back in time to find information to save her mother who went into a coma. She lands in the wrong year. (Foreign–Based on the anime The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).
- Grease (1978)–Good girl Sandy falls for the bad boy at school. Music, Travolta, fashions, euphemisms, and teen drama.
- Not Suitable for Children (2012)–Man who finds out he will soon become infertile sets out to procreate. Obviously rated R.
Pretty in Pink (1986)–Teen must decide between her dream boy or the boy next door.
She’s All That (1999)–Jock takes a bet he can take the ugliest girl at school and turn her into the prom queen.
- Daddy Long Legs (1955)–Fred Astaire plays a wealthy man who sponsors an orphan to go to college. They accidentally fall in love.
- One for the Money (2012)–Unemployed divorcee takes on a job as a bounty hunter and searches for an old flame. Based on the Stephanie Plum books.
- Outsourced (2006)–American goes to India to train people in his job that recently got outsourced.
- Some Like it Hot (1959)–Two musicians running from the mob join a band of all female musicians. Very beautiful females–hilarious.
- Strictly Ballroom (1992)–Classically trained dancer wants to dance his own style and risks his reputation on a new partner. Ugly duckling transformation, dancing and music.
- Somewhere in Time (1980)–Playwright hypnotizes himself so he can meet the woman in an old portrait in his hotel. Weepy of course.