Over Christmas and New Year’s I got exposed to some new-to-me music, movies, games, and books. One game especially kinda pulled it all together. There’s a card
game named Slash in which you try to find the best mate for each character. All the character cards are from TV, movies, and books. This brought to my attention to how many cards I needed to discard since I was at a loss as to who or what the character was.
I would love to get recommendations for all types of media in the new year. It is so readily available but it’s like diving into the middle of the ocean. Where to begin?
It doesn’t have to be new media either. For example, I watched Die Hard just before Xmas for the first time. Alan Rickman makes a cool bad guy and I hope he’s enjoying some peace just now. Oh, and dear god, get that cop some shoes.
So, can you recommend some media to me?
- Movies–I like comedies, romances, thrillers, action films. Not keen on angst ridden, artsy films nor horror flicks. Although, classic horror is good.
- Television–Similar to movies. I like crime shows and comedies. Such as NCIS, Castle, and Parks & Recreation.
- Anime or Cartoons–I love all things Studio Ghibli. I am not into mech.
- Books/Graphic novels–Mostly fiction/fantasy/sci-fi and some biographical nonfiction.
- Music–I really like singable and dance-able music and sometimes I need chill background music.
- Podcasts–I like em short, informational (somewhat), and funny.
- Games–Solitaire type games, two person/small crowd, cards, dice, paper–I’m easy.
- Recipes–I love cooking! I am not the most experienced, but I love playing with recipes!
Here are a few things I’ve been taking in recently:
- Movies–Watch Die Hard if you haven’t. If only to hear Alan Rickman say “Yippie Ki yay, mother fucker” one more time. (Spoiler: https://youtu.be/7tKr5XRPGmQ)
- Television–iZombie has been getting recommended to heaps of folks by me. I want to get into Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries series.
- Anime or Cartoons–Last animated feature I watched was Animatrix (again)–some not so bad ones in there.
- Books/Graphic novels–Reading Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls.
- Music–Uhm, I have been listening to same playlists for years…
- Podcasts–Thrilling Adventure’s Sparks Nevada Marshall on Mars is great!
- Games–I enjoyed King of Tokyo over the holidays among several others.
- Recipes–I don’t know why but homemade chicken salad is so simple and worth every ounce of effort.
Please leave me some recommendations in the comments below. I would absolutely love all input! I can quickly do a search and read a quick blurb on the media you suggest, but I would much rather like to know why are you recommending this? I assume because it was good, but it is thinky, inspiring, funny, great for a party, perfect with a cup of tea?