If you’re a regular reader, you know that I constantly steal recipes from my Sister in Law (SiL) and rework them depending on what I have in my cabinets. Yesterday, I did this and completely transformed a Vegan Bean Soup recipe that Beth found on Pinterest.
I will share my version of the recipe. The link above is to the original recipe if you’re more diligent about following recipes than me.
Easy Ham & Bean Soup
- Generous dash of olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ~4 cloves of garlic minced
Saute veggies in a medium sized soup pot until they are a bit soft–for about 10-15 minutes then add:
- 3 cans of (whatever you can find) black beans, pintos or mixed beans—Or if you’re cabinets are like mine, one of each. Drain and rinse.
- 2 cups of your choice broth (I had beef broth on hand)
- Roughly 1 1/2 or 2 cups of chopped pre-cooked ham
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 tsp powdered curry
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Slap a lid on that puppy and set it to low-medium or just above a simmer for about 30 minutes. I forgot to add but I do recommended 1-2 TBSP of lime juice.
This would make a fine meal by itself, but if you really want a happy belly:
Throw some tortillas in a skillet and put some cheese in the middle. A cheese quesadilla pairs beautifully with this hearty soupy meal.