Dead Snow (2009)
Tagline: Ein! Zwei! Die!
“Død snø” (original title)
Comedy/Horror Link to IMDB Movie Profile
For the horror movie buffs out there this may not be the best choice. I should say that if you’re a purist or snooty about the traditional zombie, you won’t like this flick as much. Comedy horror is definitely a good way to describe this movie. It has a good mix of spewing blood, zombies chasing and killing their prey, and characters making fun of people in horror movies.
Let’s begin with the basics. What’s the story:
Four guys and three women drive out to the country and hike up to a secluded cabin in the mountains for a wintry vacation. The characters get some spooky exposition from a local and their vacation gets interrupted by the Nazi zombies of lore buried in the mountains.
I really don’t know what to say about this movie that won’t give away something enjoyable, funny or nice and gory. So, I will just tell you, get on it! Either with Netflix Instant or some other movie watching program. Even if you must multitask or have the movie on while you’re fixing supper.
The movie opens with classical music and a chase through the snow. We get our first kill in the first five minutes. Satisfying. Much like the rest of the movie. The next scene exhibits the banter of college students. We find out some character names and relationships they have to one another.
After the long drive, the characters load up their gear and begin hiking to the remote cabin in the mountains. There is a sweet line the characters spew towards their nerdy friend: “You won’t survive the weekend if you don’t keep your nerdiness in check.”
Once the college kids hike to a very remote lodge they officially start their vacation. I would love to be on a vacation with these people….At least during the first part of their vacation. They play twister & cards, drink beer, go sledding, have snowball fights, and zip around on their snowmobile. The editors made sure to show all the fun and none of the dripping noses and frostbitten fingers.
Like I said, I can’t say too much more without giving away super fun parts of the story. Again, I say, Go and watch the movie!
There are a couple of story choices I found fun though:
- The characters show a few instances of intelligence when they gather weapons to fight the evil.
- The zombies have wavering levels of intelligence too. They appear to, at times, make plans, listen/communicate, and use tools.
- There is one scene that had “Zombie-vision”. I was disappointed that it was the one and only time. Maybe it ended up being cut?
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU SCROLL DOWN!!
- Sara, the fourth girl to arrive at the cabin was the character who died at the very beginning of the film. It doesn’t take long for this huzzah to sink in.
- There is an outhouse at the cabin–As if you weren’t scared of them before. Female character spots something which turns out to be Mr. Exposition. He demands coffee and supplies approximately five minutes of exposition.
- There is a SWEET bloody tent kill of Mr. Exposition–which guarantees viewers that no more lengthy explanation will be included in this movie.
- College kids find box of gold in floor fridge. WHAT?! THEY HAVE A FLOOR FRIDGE?!?! Is this normal in Norway?? I want one now.
- Nerd girl, Chris, makes sexy-time with nerd guy, Erland, on outhouse toilet seat after Erland excuses himself for a #2 break. I’ll give you a minute to let that sink in. I have never been that horny.
- After the nerd-rendezvous in the outhouse Chris (girl) uses the toilet and falls into the toilet hole—the floor drops out and she climbs back up and out covered in feces and very likely, some sex juices.
- Erland’s head gets ripped apart and brain hits floor. The sarky relief of the group says something to the effect of “I told you we should have gone to the beach”
- There is a scene in which Vegard, the boyfriend looking for the dead hiker Sara uses zombie intestines as a lifeline while he dangles and battles for his life over a cliff. It is hysterical.
- Vegard sews his own neckhole closed (injury) and wraps duct tape around his neck. Surgical stitching in extreme situations is what they cover in the first year of medical school, right?
- Two of the doofuses light the cabin on fire with molotov cocktail when they fail to throw it out of the window. They ruin their one hope at a stronghold from evil.
- As I mentioned above, they are smart zombies and definitely have a mission. Viewers find out later on that they are trying to reclaim the gold stolen from them that was found in the floor fridge. floooooorrrrrr fridge….
- Everyone dies and the last death is very satisfying. Very enjoyable.